Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Shhh..... evil genius at work

Ok, maybe not genius.

Started experimenting with the components of my Seal Crest for the Coronation tournament this weekend. The Crest needs to be at least 9" tall, so he will have to be sitting up somewhat. So I need something that will keep him from falling over, or breaking.

So I was thinking of cherry jello for the innards. But how to make it be in a tube that would represent the body? While I was shopping for jello yesterday, it came to me. Water bottles! I can empty out the water bottles and fill it with cherry jello. When it forms, I just cut the plastic bottle away, and I should have a solid jiggly mass.

I experimented with this last night and it appears that it's going to work well. I haven't cut the bottle off yet, but it looks like it will work.

Too add some more "flavor", I made up some spaghetti and put it in the jello as it set-up. It has a nice effect, and will probably make it more sturdy, but unfortunately it is not working how I imagined. I made two samples, and added the pasta right away, while the jello was still hot and liquid. The other one I waited an hour and it had set-up a little. The first one, the pasta settled at the bottom. The second one, the pasta floated. If I want to do this right, I need to find a medium where the pasta will just "float" in the jello. But, with everything else, this is a minor glitch, and not important to the whole concept.

Tonight I'm going to make up the "skin" out of rice crispy treats. I'm going to see how easy it is to form the treat and make it look like something. If all goes well, my Seal Crest may come "alive" tomorrow or Thursday night. There will be pictures. Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!

Now I have to figure out how to secure it to my helm.....

2 comments:

Thordr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thordr said...

rewrite:
suspending things in jello is just a matter of timing, your onto it:) catch it when its viscous enough, also, add a little extra jello, its not going to be cold on your helmet and the jello will get very soft and may fall apart, id suggest at least double strength, you can use unflavored jello:) (as a side note, you should pick up a chunk or two and eat them, nice and gross);) also, add a little milk and red food dye, that will make the chunks look more fleshlike