Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Project: Silk Banner

I've wanted to make a silk banner for some time now. I did some research, asked a few people for help and information, bought the stuff I needed, and thanks to Toen for the silk, and Kirstyn for helping with the dyes and frame, I now have a fancy new silk banner. It is my first attempt, and there are some mistakes, but it passes the 15 foot rule. And I know more now for the next time.

My first attempt I did a more European style banner. It is more like a pendant and tapered on one end. Meant to fly horizontally. My next one for me will be a Japanese style which will fly vertically. Below are some of the pictures of the process. Click on any picture for a larger, more detailed image.

The silk being stretched on the frame and with the pattern already drawn on it in pencil, and the basics outlines of the banner in gutta. The outline looks jagged and wavy because it's on the frame, not because we were drunk. The pattern was done before putting it on the frame, then when on the frame, distorts pattern. When it comes off the frame, it's back to normal.


Now the gutta has been applied to the silk to form the Calon Cross and my mon. The gutta acts like a dye damn. It stops the different color of dyes from crossing over into another color. It's really cool to see happen.

The dyes have been applied. I did two coats of dye, mainly because the first coat was too streaky. I think I applied it wrong by using foam brushes. It soaked up the dye, but it didn't allow it spread too easily. You can still see the streaks in the blue, but they are not as noticeable. The purple and yellow came out really well.


The finished banner with it's ties and binding edge added. I used some bias tape for the binding edge and the ties. You can see the streaks in the blue. The purple faded a little during the fixative and washing phases. But it looks more faded in this picture than in actuality. The sun is shining behind it. Not sure what the final length is, but it's over six feet long, and it flys beautifully. I will be breaking it out this weekend at Valor.

2 comments:

Jennwynn said...

Verrrry cool!

Suggestion for the streaking... Wet the silk first with water, then apply the dye. Also be sure to apply all of a section at once. This is much easier with smaller areas than large ones. Most of the ones that I've worked on are huge (and streaky). :)

~wynn

Kennis said...

LOVE it. I'd been waiting to see this since you mentioned it.
Miguel and I were planning on being at Valor - he even took time off for it - but we are moving instead. Ugh, mundane life :(.