Monday, January 5, 2009

12th Night - 2009 version

Went to 12th Night for the 8th or 9th straight year.  You'd think I liked this event or something.  It wasn't much different than every other year. Lots of fun and fighting, as usual.

A new fighter was thinking about going up with me, but decided to spend time with his girlfriend instead.  Sheesh!  Where is his priorities? (as I remain single)  So I went up to Omaha alone.  Not a bad trip.  Tried to keep myself entertained.  For the second straight year, I hit some wicked dense fog for at least half the trip.  Very wierd.  When I got there, it started to drizzle.  This would become an issue later when I was to leave as it froze and the roads were ice covered.

I started later than I wanted, but I was tired and thought driving tired, alone was not a good choice.  When I arrived a little before noon, the tournament had already started.  Since it's a bearpit, I didn't need to be there right when it started.  It would last another 4 hours.  I had time.

I changed into my garb.  Put on armor and fought.  And fought.  And fought.  And fought some more.  I had a really great time.  I was trying to think of the last time I fought that wasn't fighter practice or a demo.  It's been awhile.  Maybe Valor in September?  Anyway, I was just wanting to knock some rust off and I did better than I even imagined.  I did better than I have ever done at 12th Night, and I wasn't really worried about it.

As I've mentioned before, I tend to overthink things and psyche myself out.  When I go out to have fun and don't think about it, I do much better.  I knew I hadn't fought in months, and I knew I was going to get beat.  I just wanted to get the rust knocked off and have some fun.  Well, I did.  At the end of the day, I checked with the list table and I had 16 wins.   I think my best prior was 12, I think.  And I know I didn't loose 16, so I had a winning record.  Yay!

At the end of the tournament, they announced they had 764 total fights (not including double-kills) in the four plus hour tournament.  I'd guess there were 30 or so fighters there.  And the winner, Ashir, won by over 10% with 91 wins.  91 wins?!  That's awesome!  I didn't even fight 91 times in that timeframe!  Good job Ashir!

I was able to see Toen, Isabeau, Shawn, and Allison.  It is always good to see them.  It's been awhile since we've all been together.  Actually.  Now that I think about it.  I dont think there was a time at 12th Night we were all together in the same place.  Funny.  What a dysfunctional family.

I sat for court.  Talked to Her Majesty Maerwynn.  Talked to quite a few people I haven't seen or been out of the loop with.  It was all good.

The event seemed smaller than normal.  I don't know if it's loosing popularity, or if it was because of the weather.  Or it could of just been my imagination.  Regardless, still a lot of fun.  Lots of good fighting.  I will be back next year.  I just wish we had a bigger Crescent Moon contigent on the field.  Kind of makes me sad.  But that is how this Shire is.  Maybe next year.  But for now, I'll try to get people to go to Winter War Maneuvers.


No comments: