Monday, January 14, 2008

Sushi & Karma

Some things you got to love about the Japanese. Sushi is one of them. I was not a big sushi fan when I was growing up. In fact, I was like probably a lot of people outside of Japan, and was afraid of the raw fish and squid. But then I educated myself, tried it, and now I love it.

For the record, if you are reading this and are unaware, sushi is NOT raw fish. Sushi refers to the rice used to make it. Sushi is vinegared rice. And sushi is usually rice, seaweed rolled and dried flat like paper, and vegetables like cucumber, avocado, carrots. There are forms of sushi that do have fish, in fact, many do, but not all of them. So saying all sushi is raw fish is like saying all casseroles have corn.

One of my projects for this year is to learn how to make sushi. I think it'd be fun, and educational. Like most things Japanese, it is an art form. Of course, I'd like to make my own kinds of sushi, especially for those who are afraid of fish or veggies. I think I'd cook some steak or chicken and roll that up. It wouldn't be traditional, but it might help introduce people to sushi.

Now sashimi, that is raw fish. And although it is unique to most westerners, it is quite good. Like many new cultures and customs, it takes some getting used to. Like I'm sure most people who first took a puff of their first cigarette enjoyed it, or took their first sip of beer. There are some sushi and sashimi that I do not care for. And that may be because I've had a bad experience with it. For one, I don't like tako (octopus) sashimi not because of what it is, but the one I tried, I didn't like the texture. Now it could of not been prepared right, and I might give it another chance later, but it was not pleasant.

Well, I told you that, to tell you this. Over a year ago, I had some bad sushi. The place that prepared it, didn't do it right, and it was not fresh, and warm, and just not good. Needless to say, it made me sick, and I was turned off of sushi for a long time. It wasn't until recently that I started having a taste for it again. Well, last week I was craving it, so I went to the only place I know of that serves sushi, beside the one that made me sick a year ago. When I arrived, they were closed during lunch. Sucks.

Today, I'm still craving it, and thought I'd have to try my luck at the "bad" place. As I'm driving there during lunch, I happen to spot a place (Sakura) in a small shopping center. I decided to check it out. Sure enough, they were open for lunch, and they just opened today. I thought it had to be Karma. So I went in, and it was very nice. They had a large menu of items, some I've never seen, and some obviously their own creations.

I ordered my safe stand-by of California Roll, and a unique creation called the Topeka Roll. I almost laughed when ordering it. But when I tried them, I'd have to say they are the best sushi I've ever had. Of course, I've been sans-sushi for quite some time, my view may be skewed. But I know that these pieces were larger than others I've had in the past, and they tasted fresher. All in all, they were just great!

And the best part of sushi, at least for me, is that after you finish, you just feel great. I feel so healthy, and I don't feel like crap after eating a burger or something greasy. Everything tastes so fresh. It's almost a religious experience if you get some really good sushi.

When I start learning how to make sushi, I'll post my process here. Until then, try something different and try some sushi. You might like it.

-Mata-ne


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: