Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Sure Sign of Mortality

Well, I got one of the sure signs of my mortality the other day. I knew it was coming, but I still didn't like it. I got my invitation to my 20 year high school reunion. I had received one last year, but it was very vague. So I filed it away in my head as it wouldn't happen. But this one had details, damnit! Someone is actually planning this. Someone is trying to kill me, I'm sure of it.

I did not enjoy my 10 year reunion. I don't see this one faring any better. I didn't feel comfortable around these people 20 years ago, why do they expect me to feel better now? And you don't really want to see that jerk that you never really liked be all successful now. Or that girl that dumped you on Prom Night and see how perfect her life is now. Secretly, you wish them all to fail and have worse lives than you.

The high school reunion is a odd thing. On one hand, you want to see your friends from school again, catch up, and remember how cool they are. On the other hand, you don't want to see those people who you weren't friends with, and reminded why you had to be sure to lock your gym locker in fear of finding your "unmentionables" hanging from the flagpole.

And at least with my 10 year, I was surprised. Some of the people who I thought were my friends, weren't as cool as I remembered, and some of the jerks, were much nicer. It's all a matter of perspective I think. They've changed, and I'm sure I have. Time changes your perspective. But was my perspective wrong then, or now? Not sure either is wrong, just different.

All I know is that I'm not really looking forward to it. The only thing I'm looking forward to is for someone to ask me what hobbies I do so I can say "hit people with sticks, really hard." :D


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: