Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Recap: 12th Night

I traveled to 12th Night this past weekend. I believe I've been to every one since I've been in the SCA, some 7+ years now. It is one of my favorite events. Lots of good fighting, food, people, and just a jolly good time.

In my old 360 blog, I wrote about Fighting to Win vs. Fighting to Not Loose. Sometimes it's a hard habit to break, especially when you've been doing it for so long. I found myself more concerned about my stats and how many fights I won than just having fun. I know I usually start slow but get better as I warm up, so it was not really a surprise that I was frustrated after my first five fights, and getting only one victory.

I decided to take a break and re-focus. While I was, I watched my squire-brother Shawn go out there and fight, and fight, and fight. I wish I had his stamina and speed. He was doing pretty well. Then I found Toen, and we sat and talked, and laughed for quite a while. It was good. I haven't seen him in a few months.

After sitting with Toen and watching the fighting, I decided to get back up there, and just have fun. Don't count my fights, don't worry about how I do, don't worry about who my opponent is, and just go out and fight, and try to win, not to not loose. And I honestly can not tell you how many fights I fought this time, but it was more than my first five, and I know I won more than one, but how many, I don't know, nor do I care.

This time, I just went out to fight, and I was more relaxed, and more confident in my fighting. Honestly, since I was awarded my axes at Lilies, I have felt I haven't deserved them yet. But I started to feel like I could wear them at 12th Night. Overall, I had the most fun during this time.

Afterwards I went to court, changed clothes, got a bite to eat with Toen and Shawn, and headed home. This was the longest I've driven to an event by myself before. I wasn't really worried about it, except for possibly being tired and falling asleep. If it wasn't for my lovely Isolda talking to me on the phone, I probably would of.

I got beat-up a bit more than usual at 12th Night. It's usually a very good tournament with some good fighters, but I had some fluke accidents. In my first fight of the day, I was fighting the byes in the Novice Tourney. The guy hit me in my sword arm in the small gap between my elbow cop and vambrace. Made my entire arm go numb for a bit. And on my last fight of the day, a two-stick authorization, he hit me on the underside of my wrist on my left arm, where I don't have any armor. I thought it was broke. But luckily, it isn't. Hurt like hell for a while though.

Overall, I have a good time. I didn't stay for feast, as I wanted to get home. I missed going up with Isolda, but maybe next year. I got to catch-up with Toen and Shawn, and talk with a few friends I haven't seen in awhile. All in all, it was a good event. Looking forward to next year.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: