Thursday, June 26, 2008

Take one Lilies and call me in the morning... part II

... where was I?

Ah yes.... the Hus & Chiv versus the world. Much fun was had by all and the quarreling guilds were quelled quickly, (yes, I'm good) and now there is peace in the Kingdom.

Immediately after this, there was one last battle for the day, and basically the war. It was a Valhalla Bridge Battle. In a nutshell, you fight on a bridge. When you die, you resurrect on the other side. You keep doing this until you can't swing a stick anymore. And that's basically what I did. I had a ball. And I had a ball dying, which happened more than not. But I had fun, and more fun than I've had in awhile.

Later, I was asked to fight for Annalies in the Water Bearer's Tournament. That was fun. I went out two-stick for the first time in a LONG time. I kind of hit the ground running. Took a little bit, but it started to come back to me how to use those things. I didn't do too badly, and I think I did ok for my lack of activity recently. But again, I enjoyed myself, and didn't have a problem with any of the fights.

Before the fights, I sat down and talked with Bjarnulf the Gleamer (sorry if I misspelled your name dude) for a bit. He's a good man. Good fighter, and just a good man. You know those guys who would help you move into a new place even if you just met him? Yeah, that's him. Well, we sat and talked for quite a bit. He is getting into a Japanese persona and we just sat around and talked shop for a while. It was a good time.

Also before the fights, Mor found me. I haven't seen or talked to Mor in probably over a year. When the tournament started, Mor, Bjarnulf, Annalies and I just sat under the Royal Shadefly (yeah, I didn't realize it until it was too late) and just talked, and watched the fighting. Just catching up and telling stories.

After the tournament, I was done fighting for the day. I had my fill. The Phoenix Household, which Bjarnulf is a member, invited me to dinner with them that evening. Since I didn't have any other plans, I accepted. Besides, they were having steak. How can I turn down steak? So I stripped off my armor and headed to the Phoenix encampment with Mor.

As usual at SCA events, you can't go from point A to point 2 without running into people and talk to them. I had to stop a couple of times to see people I haven't seen in awhile, and catch-up. Talked to Rhodri a bit about his 40 fights at 40. He did 35 fighters I believe. All of them best 2-out-of-3. Awesome! I couldn't do that right now. He rocks. Also he informed me that the Fyrd fundraiser of selling snow cones one day at a quarter each raised over $150!!! Over $150 in quaters! Epic win!

At one point, I saw Sir Ivan and Sir Gilligan walking around, getting ready for the party. I yelled over at him, "If Ivan is dead, I want his shit!" They laughed, but Gilligan yelled back, "I've tried that, he's taking it with him to Valhalla!"

Speaking of Ivan's shit... Nazir talked with Ivan and acquired Ivan's polearm that he's used for many years. Ivan is known for his polearm work. He is a polearm god! Anyway, Nazir talked to Ivan and he agreed to allow Nazir to cut up his polearm into bits and give them to people who may want a piece of Ivan's good ju-ju. I so want one! I'm going to have to contact Nazir about it. That'd be sweet.

Eventually got to the Phoenix encampment, and they had already begun eating. My bad. Let me tell you, if you do not know people in the Phoenix House, you need to introduce yourselves to them. They are a great bunch of people. Everyone is so kind and generous. Wiliiam, their grand pooba (sorry William, I forgot your title), is the best. He made sure I was fed and had enough to drink.

I squired to Sir Toen at Lilies a few years ago. Every year since then, at Lilies, we smoke a cigar to comemerate that day, and to just hang out. This year, Toen was not at Lilies when I was. But that didn't stop me from continuing the tradition. One of the feasters at dinner, Evan, had several nice cigars he was gracious enough to share. So a few of us sat back with our bellies full of steak, we sat back and smoked our cigars and had some really good conversations.

Last year, after wandering around, I ended up in the Phoenix camp one night. I sat down and just chewed the fat with William and anyone else who'd walk up. We laughed, joked, told stories, and discussed some deep philosophical shit through evening. So this year, we thought we'd tackle that again. So I think we are starting a new tradition of having a good talk with William at Lilies. The cigars and steak are definately a bonus.

Time slipped by and it was getting late and I had to head home. I said my farewells, packed up my stuff and headed home.

Earlier in the week, I had thought I would just skip Lilies. I was getting burned out on the SCA, and with people, with my priorities, and with everything. I don't know what changed my mind, but I decided to go, and I'm glad I did. It was only one day, but it was one of the best Lilies I have ever had.

I'm feeling better about things in the SCA. I don't feel so crispy. I now feel like getting back into things more and being more energetic and positive. This is especially important to our newer people. We have quite a few new good people, and they don't need me being a dick and being negative. So right now, I'm feeling much better. I needed this Lilies really badly, and I didn't realize I did. Funny how things work sometimes.

I'm back in the fight.

1 comment: